The idea of a brand new home is very enticing, and there are many excellent reasons for buying one. But then again, older homes have their charms and advantages as well. There are, of course, other factors to consider when making this most important decision, such as the local community, distance from work and family, and the layout and feel of the home. With so many new and used homes to choose from here in Prescott, a good place to start your home search is by considering the advantages of buying a new home versus an older one.
New Home Advantages
- Customization. When you have a new home built, you have the opportunity to work with your architect and designers to create a house that uniquely matches your needs and desires.
- Everything is fresh and smells brand new. No one before you had used the shower, slept in the bedrooms or walked on the carpets.
- Master suite. New master bedrooms are larger than those in most older homes. Builders are placing more emphasis on creating luxurious master bedrooms with more amenities.
- Open layout. New homes have more open and efficient floor plans. Dining rooms, hallways, kitchens and other rooms tend to flow naturally into one another. Many homes combine a majority of living space into one grand room with large windows and a high ceiling.
- Energy efficiency. New homes are built with energy efficiency in mind, from building materials and windows, to the latest energy efficient appliances.
- Low maintenance. There are no repairs needing to be performed. The furnace, water heater, pipes and ducts are new and clean. The appliances will not need attention for some time.
- It may cost less. Advances in construction methods, combined with smaller yards, means that some new homes actually cost less than older ones.
Older Home Advantages
- Established neighborhood. Older homes are in neighborhoods with a developed community and full landscaping. You can see how well homes in the area have held their value, and how well they have been maintained. Homes in mature neighborhoods are desirable and hold their value.
- Lot Size. Newer homes tend to be built closer together, and on smaller lots than older homes. This means older homes may have more yard space to enjoy.
- Personality. Older homes have their own individual character, with unique modifications and alterations from previous owners. Many homeowners will have put a lot of time and effort into renovations to increase the home’s value. Older homes are in mature neighborhoods, each with its own personality. A look around will show you how much pride other homeowners take in the neighborhood.
If you decide that a new home in Prescott, AZ is right for you, Don Savage Builders is here to work with you every step of the way. Our team of home designers and builders have worked to make the dream of owing a personalized new home come true for more than 25 years. Contact us for more information about creating your new dream home.